International Journal of Chemical Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
P-ISSN: 2349-8528, E-ISSN: 2321-4902   |   Impact Factor: GIF: 0.565 NAAS Rating: 5.31 NEW

International Journal of Chemical Studies

Vol. 5, Issue 5 (2017)
Nutrient fortified king coconut water as an isotonic thirst quenching beverage for sports men and women


Author(s): RAUJ Marapana, CMKV Chandrasekara and MMW Aponso

Abstract: The main objective of the study was to develop an isotonic thirst quenching beverage to provide maximum effectiveness to the consumers by changing the natural composition of king coconut (Cocos nucifera aurantiaca) water. A preliminary study was carried out using three variables; amount of carbohydrates (6, 7, 8 w/v%), electrolytes (20, 25, 30 mmol/L) and volume of king coconut water (50, 100, 150, 200, 250 mL) and 9 carbohydrate-electrolyte samples were selected out of 45 samples using a sensory analysis. Tonicity of the samples were identified by the osmolality parameter. Since all selected samples were in the hypertonic range, the least hypertonic sample (6% sugars (CHO), 20 mmol/L Sodium, 100:150 mL ratio of king coconut water to deionized water) was chosen to develop two isotonic range products. The final product was selected by a sensory analysis. Chemical composition of the selected final product can be concluded as 5.4% carbohydrates, 0.09% protein, 0.01% total fat, 0.1% total ash, no crude fiber, 22.05 kcal/100g total energy, 20 mmol/L Sodium, 24 mmol/L Potassium, 11 mmol/L Magnesium and 6.75 mmol/L Calcium. The osmolality of the final product was 289 mOsm/kg. Final carbohydrate-electrolyte drink showed microbiological stability up to two months under refrigerated conditions.

Pages: 1494-1498  |  376 Views  19 Downloads

download (4451KB)
How to cite this article:
RAUJ Marapana, CMKV Chandrasekara, MMW Aponso. Nutrient fortified king coconut water as an isotonic thirst quenching beverage for sports men and women. Int J Chem Stud 2017;5(5):1494-1498.
International Journal of Chemical Studies