International Journal of Chemical Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
Online ISSN: 2321-4902, Print ISSN: 2349-8528   |   Impact Factor: GIF: 0.565 NAAS Rating: 5.31 NEW
International Journal of Chemical Studies
Vol. 7, Issue 3 (2019)

Artificial groundwater recharge through rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivation: A systematic review

Author(s): Adarsh S and Giffy Thomas
Abstract: Rice cultivation aids ground water recharge. Rice requires continuous supply of water through irrigation. Around 60 percent of the irrigation water is used by the plants; remaining 40 percent filters through soil recharging the aquifer below. Yet, this concept was vague in its meaning, which renders its implementation difficult. In this paper, an attempt is made to understand the concept; perspective to its essentiality through structured literature review thus trying to identify the overall ideas associated with the topic. The results from studies using soil water balance approach revealed rice as the best recharge potential crop for fallows, rice and non-rice cropped areas for three cropping seasons. Clays with a little salinity is better to recharge groundwater from irrigated paddy field. Increase in relative humidity with decrease in sunshine hours cause rise in groundwater recharge. Water table rises positively in monsoon counter balanced by lower during winter. Agricultural practices with modified cropping pattern mitigate salinization and water logging issues. Rice water management integrates three-dimensional surface and subsurface groundwater level. Production function approach in valuing groundwater recharge shows that dry season agriculture depends on groundwater. Improved insitu water-saving by System of Rice Intensification (SRI) certifies that field irrigation requirement of SRI was lower than traditional irrigation according to 3-D finite element groundwater model (FEMWATER) studies.
Pages: 1856-1860  |  117 Views  9 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Adarsh S and Giffy Thomas. Artificial groundwater recharge through rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivation: A systematic review. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 2019; 7(3): 1856-1860. DOI: 10.22271/chemi.2019.v7.i3.16.07
Call for book chapter
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals